Comparison with sbt
Sbt is in many respects an awesome tool, it really is. But it is the wrong tool.
It is complex
The case against sbt has been made before, most eloquently by Li Haoyi in the So, what's wrong with SBT? blog post.
It is slow
Even worse, it is also slow.
- Starting a JVM is slow.
- Starting a Scala compiler is slow
- Compiling the build is slow
- Evaluating the build is slow
- Resolving dependencies is slow
- Every plugin introduces more slowness, multiplied by number of projects
It cannot manage its own build files
The build file is arbitrarily complicated scala code. The most common build changes like dependency updates, project renames, combining projects are manual operations.